Saturday, 12 December 2015

A Week of Goodbyes

Thank you for your patience as I haven't posted in a couple of weeks. The week previous to this (Nov 28 - Dec 5) was a difficult one for me, and this past week was busy with Yuletide shopping, and other activities.



Last week I said goodbye to a dear friend of mine, who is moving to another part of the country. I met my buddy Richel in 2008 when I moved into my current position at my work. We shared the same office and quickly became friends. We share a love of art and she has been one of my biggest supporters of my art and my new tarot business. Her encouragement and support have meant a lot to me. She also was there for me through my divorce, one of the most difficult times of my life, and I will never forget that. She is a clever, funny, creative person who is passionate about human rights and loves horses. Plus she makes an excellent chilli. :)
In Tuesday Dec 1 we had a farewell lunch at Stellas, one of our favourite restaurants. I know with the Internet and Facebook we will keep in touch, and I'm already seeing her beautiful photos of her holiday in Vancouver. It's not the same though when you can't just ring someone up and say "let's meet for dinner." I know she will do well in her new life and I am excited for her, as much as I will miss her.



While that goodbye was expected, what was a surprise was that my Grandpa, just shy of his 99th birthday, passed away on Nov.28. I know it sounds weird to be surprised when your grandfather is 98, but I saw him two weeks before and he was healthy and his regular self. He had some trouble hearing and seeing but he seemed to be okay.
My Grandpa was born in 1917, and his parents ran a lumber yard in southern Manitoba. He once told me a story about how their warehouse had the first lightbulb in town! He joined the airforce when he was older and during WWII he taught recruits how to operate communication radios. After the war he moved with my Grandma to Winnipeg and drove trolley cars and later busses. They raised 8 kids and he now has 23 grandkids and 30 great grand kids! That's over 60 descendants!
I'm very lucky to have had my grandfather for so long. Not many people have their grandparents into their 40s, but I feel blessed to have had him in my life for so long. I still gave my Grandma Alice too (his second wife - my Grandma passed away when I was very small). Saying goodbye was hard, though it was great to se so many relatives I hadn't seen in ages. Below is a a picture of me and my cousins - 15 out of 23 of us were able to make it.



So if you still have your grandparents (or parents) count yourself lucky and give them an extra hug this holiday season.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

6 comments:

  1. I am sorry your friend moved, I would miss my best friend so much if she did! We are about 1.5 hours from each other and that is far enough!

    Also very sorry about the loss of your grandfather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's hard having a friend move, but at least new technology these days allows us to connect.

      Delete
  2. My sympathies for your loss, both with the friend moving away and your grandfather passing. Neither is an easy life thing.
    I hope the holiday season is a comforting one for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Holly! I'm focusing on the family and friends I have around me and am feeling grateful to have had my grandpa for so long.

      Delete
  3. (((HUGS))) I'm so sorry for your losses. Wow! I can't imagine having a grandparent still alive. I think mine would be in their late 90s to 106! Sending you lots and lots of love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If anyone knows about loss it's you. I admire your strength and love for your Mom. hugs to you too!

      Delete