Saturday, 14 November 2015



This month's homework assignment from the delightful Curious Professor Z, is giving thanks. While Thanksgiving has passed here in Canada back in October (thanks to her for mentioning this), expressing gratitude is something to be expressed at any time of year.
Below is a list of just a few things I am thankful for.

Source of photo - Toronto Star


1. I live in a peaceful country
I'm going to get a little political for a moment, so if you are not into that, please feel free to skip items 1 and 2. I think we are all saddened by the events of yesterday that took place in Paris. While I am saddened to hear of that and of the recent bombings that took place in Lebanon and Bagdad, I am also reminded to appreciate living in a stable, peaceful, and prosperous country. My mum used to tell me that being born in Canada (or any peaceful country) was like winning the lottery and to appreciate it. While we are not immune to our share of violence (like last years attack on our parliament by a cray man with a gun), You can read about it herewe have not had to deal with tragedies on this scale. My heart goes out to those that do, and to the innocent people that may get needlessly blamed for the violent actions of others. I hope that things will improve for everyone.



On a side note, we actually were evacuated at my work a couple of weeks ago due to a "suspicious package." It turned out to be something probably left behind from the previous weekends Comic Con, but I am thankful everyone was safe.




2. We had a change in government Above is a photo of me with our new Prime Minister Justin Trudeau! I met him this summer when the campaign was just about to start. I'm very glad he won, because the old government was terrible. I could go on and on about how bad it was, loosening environmental laws, censuring scientists from speaking to the media, destroying archives etc. This new government is a breath of fresh air! Our new PM as his first actions, appointed a gender equal cabinet and told scientists relight away they are free to speak to the media again. Things are looking up politically and I'm very excited about what the future may hold.



3. My partner and kids
Okay, enough about politics. This is the number one thing I am thankful for. I've been with my wonderful partner for 4 years now. I'd show you a photo of him and my two adorable step kids, but he's pretty private about photos and info on the Internet, so I will respect that. Instead above is a photo of my step-daughters chalk art she made at Grandma's house on Thanksgiving.
Being with such a positive partner is wonderful. I was in an emotionally abusive marriage for years. Being in a healthy partnership is so amazing! He is kind, funny, supportive and we share the same values and many of the same tastes. The kids have helped me grow in many ways too, and are always surprising me and inspiring me.



4. Family and Friends I have loads more photos from Thanksgiving, but I don't know how much my family is comfortable with on the blog, so I've included this dark non descript photo so that it gives you an idea of thanksgiving at my folk's house. It's a large family (I'm one of six) and there's grandkids for my parents now too. I'm grateful for them and for all my wonderful supportive friends.



5.Creative expression
Wether it's reading cards, making paintings like things above I'm working on, or blogging, I am thankful I get to express my creativity and share it with all of you. Thanks so much for reading my blog and watching my vlogs. Ian so thankful for you all as well! :)

Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

  1. So I have that bad habit of first scrolling through a post & look at the pictures, let's pretend it never happened that i thought that man was your partner XD... anyways, I think it is nice that you accept him to stay private and that everything seems to be just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think it's funny you thought Justin Trudeau was my partner. Lol.

      Delete
  2. I've heard good things about your new PM! Let's hope that our new President follows suit. I have to admit, I'm pretty nervous about this Holiday Season in NYC. We've already had a threat posted and are on high security. So many people flock to NYC during the Holidays, especially on New Year's Eve. *shudder*

    But, that's not going to stop us from enjoying the sites! :) NYers are scrappy.

    Aw, it's good to hear that you're in a loving relationship and that you're family is good and solid. Sending you love, my friend from the North!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sending you love too! especially for the holiday season which I know can sometimes be hard after the loss of someone so close to you. I hope your Thanksgiving is wonderful. Xxoo

      Delete