Sunday, 29 March 2015

Wild Wisdom of the Faery Oracle Review

About a month ago I received the Wild Wisdom of the Faery Oracle by Lucy Cavendish. I had seen this deck on a couple of Youtube tarot readers channels and loved the artwork so thought I would check it out for myself.



Artwork and Design
The art in this deck is colourful and stunning. The images are fantastical and imaginative. I usually am not a fan of computer generated art, but this one I actually do like as it is not altered photos and more painterly. I also like the keywords on the bottom which are not overly distracting, but still a good reminder. And the borders are not too distracting either.
I also own two of the Brian Froud fairy decks which has a more wild fairy feel. This one is a more storybook feel. I enjoy both decks, but they do have a different energy to them.
The backing art features the seven pointed fairy star. This unfortunately makes it easier to tell when it is reversed. I get around this by closing my eyes when picking the cards.



Companion Book
I was impressed by the size of the companion book. Each card has a fairly large explanation of the symbolism in the card, plus a divinatory meaning for both upright and reversed. Lucy's style of writing seems to be a little more directed at a younger crowd, but I still enjoyed that the book is thorough in descriptions of the cards and provides several layouts for using them.




Packaging
The box the deck came in is a little flimsy for storing the deck and Bol in. It was well packaged in that I liked that the book slid out along with a box that had an indent for the cards, but I won't be keeping it to store them. I will have to find a bag or box for the cards.




Size and Weight
The cards are larger than your average deck, so may be a little difficult for shuffling for some. The weight of the cards could also be better but it could be worse too. I would say it's just okay.

Overall
The cards read well, as the messages I found to be pertinent to the questions. I especially like using them in conjunction with tarot, though they do a good job reading on their own.
I enjoy the artwork and the meanings, but the packaging and card stock could be improved. All in all 4 out of 5 for me.

What are your thoughts?
Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone


1 comment:

  1. I love the deck, still hoping to run into Selena one day, hopefully when I am dressed like a faery! I love that Storykeeper card, I got the bookmark years ago when I was first seeing Selena's work in stores, and I thought it looked rather like me, back when I had really long hair. I am a writer too, so it suits.

    ReplyDelete