Wednesday, 21 January 2015

Review - Nicoletta Ceccoli Tarot

In November I ordered the Nicoletta Ceccoli tarot deck, which just came out a few months ago. I am a fan of her art, so it was a no brainer ordering this fantastical deck.








Artwork and Design
I think this is the sort of art you either like or you don't. The deck definitely does not follow the Rider Smith system, so I would not recommend it for beginners. If you are more experienced and you want a deck that challenges you, then go for it. The art features Ceccoli's typical surreal art of adorable and yet disturbing young females. I think the only card that features a male figure is the Emperor. Even the Knights and Kings are female in this deck. The artwork really asks that you look at the many things going on in the picture and open yourself up to your intuition as it seems to me that so much is going on in each card. Above is the image the three of swords is taken from (featuring just the fairy pinned to the wheel). It is beautiful and disturbing at the same time. Like this one, many of the pictures appear adorable on the surface, but then have an undercurrent of violence or sexuality in them, such as the 10 of swords, which shows a girl who's body is a cake, being cut into, with red filling spilling out. Personally I love this cute/macabre type imagery, but I know it isn't for everyone.
Another reason I wouldn't recommend this deck for beginners is that the cards are not clearly labelled. The suits are indicated by a small symbol at the top and a number at the bottom. Major arcana are denoted by Roman numerals, so you have to be more familiar with those. Even more confusing are the court cards. The pages are denoted by a symbol of a helmet and the Knights by horse heads, but the Kings and queens are shown with slightly different crowns. This can lead to confusion.





Companion Book
Typical of Los Scarabio decks, there is no true guidebook accompanying it. A small white booklet written in several languages is in the box, but it is not very useful. Again, another reason this deck I would not recommend to beginners.







Size and Weight
The card stock might be a little thin for some but I thought it was alright overall. The size of the cards are longer than wide, making them slightly narrower than most tarot cards. For those that don't like their cards too large, this deck size may be just right for you.

Packaging
The box is a small, and not very sturdy, so I would recommend storing this one in a bag or other box.







Overall
I've probably hit people over the head with my opinion that this is not a good beginners deck. That being said, if you are a more experienced reader, and you don't mind the lack of proper companion book or box for storage, and you adore the artwork as I do, I would recommend this for your collection. It is a challenging and sweet, but disturbing deck, which only adds to its charm.
Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. Amazing art, but I probably might feel a little disturbed using it to divine my own future, with images like the dolls and cake girl!

    ReplyDelete