Saturday, 10 January 2015

Journaling

I was inspired by The Curious Professor Z, in her BatFit 2015 kickoff the week, to write about journaling. I've kept journals for years, since I was nine actually. While I haven't kept many of them, as I do purge them every so often, they are an essential part of my spiritual, personal and creative practice. And I don't just keep one journal. No,no,no - just one would never do! I usually keep several for different things. Below is a list of the journals and notebooks I am currently keeping.

Morning Pages Journal
For those of you who have never heard of morning pages - they are an essential exercise recommended by Julia Cameron in her fabulous book "The Artist's Way". If you have not heard of this book, I implore you to check it out. I found it when I was 20, and I can honestly say it changed my life. It gets you to claim back your inner artist and creative side. The two essential exercises are artist dates and morning pages. The morning pages are three pages you write daily, each morning, of whatever is in your head - the stuff you have to do, your worries and fears, hopes and dreams - basically take what's in your head and dump it on the page. By doing this you have a safe place to process things and complain, and you really get to know yourself better. I can't say I do them everyday, but I do make an effort to, which means it does get done most days. For this practice I like to keep a 300 - 500 page scribbler of standard 8 x 10 pages. This means it'll last a good while.

Exercise Notebook
No, not for push-ups and jumping jacks, but for any self improvement books I may be working on like "The Artists Way" or Louise L Hay's "You Can Heal Your Life" etc. it's good to have a place to make notes in. I prefer the above kind, a hard bound spiral notebook. I also like collaging on the inside cover as a sort of vision board for the book.
        



Day Planner
This is an essential for me. I don't know how anyone can keep all their activities straight without one. I had been using "The Official Student Calendar" for years - since I started Uni really, but this year I wanted to change it up. I got the "Tools 4 Wisdom" day planner which has loads of space for writing daily, weekly and monthly tasks and space to write your goals and the steps you are going to take to reach them. I'm going to try it out this year and see if it works as well, or better than the other one for me.

Grimoire
Also known as a Book of Shadows, I have been pretty sporadic about keeping one of these for years. I tried separate books for rituals, card readings, dreams etc. but that didn't really work for me. I also tried a binder with seperate tabs for these different things, but it was a bit unwieldy and cumbersome to carry around. I must admit my record keeping skills were a bit dodgy in this area because of this,as it discouraged me from pulling out the binder and writing things down.
I then thought - why not just keep a journal and write it a down together? After all, they are all part of
my spiritual practice and they all inform each other. So I picked up this lovely journal at Coles the other day and have found it a much more portable and enjoyable companion for my book bag.

Sketch/Ideas Book
As an artist I of course also keep a sketchbook. I also like to write down any creative writing ideas that come into my head. That way it becomes more of a creative journal that I can draw from. I like a
 good hard cover one that isn't so big that it doesn't easily fit into my book bag, but not so small I
can't properly draw in it. My latest one is this moleskin, which I also picked up at Coles.

Lenornand Notebook
One of my goals this year is to become proficient with reading Lenormand cards, as they are very different from tarot and oracle cards, which I am used to. I have two books I'm working with that give you exercises for learning the cards. To that end, I am using the above journal to help me in my Lenormand studies, and to be a reference book to look back on hopefully. It's a new thing for me having a book just for this, but I thought I would try it out.

So dear reader, do you keep a journal or journals? Do you prefer the physical kind like me? Or are you more of an online journal type?
I'd love to hear!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone


1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's a lot of books! I sometimes write a diary, sometimes I just try and write down positive quotes! I have a datebook for good things that happen that I sometimes write in. I now also have a grimoire, with things I am learning.

    ReplyDelete