Thursday, 30 October 2014

The Professor's Monthly Homework Assignment - Halloween at Home



This month our professor has assigned us the homework of discussing how we celebrate Halloween at home. For me it has two sides - the secular trick or treating side, and the religious holiday of Samhain.



Halloween
My step kids are still young enough to enjoy Halloween, dressing up and trick or treating. Last week they informed me that the house was "not spooky enough", so we let them decorate outside (grandma helped). They made ghosts out of tablecloths, glueing faces on, put spiderwebs around the trees and drew faces on the leaf bags. The star though is the milk jug skeleton made by my step daughter (with help from Dad of course). The kids loved doing it and I must admit it does make things "spookier".



Samhain
For the pagan holiday of Samhain I keep it pretty simple. After the trick or treating is done, I light candles to honour the dead and do some oracle card readings for the year. I light one for my brother, and one for my ancestors, another for lost friends, and another for pets. This year my pet rabbit of 11 years Pippin passed on, so there will be a special focus on him.




I can't wait to read about everyone else's celebrations. :)

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone


3 comments:

  1. I love that Halloween inspires kids to be spooky!

    It is lovely to honour the loved ones who have passed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post is a nice reminder about taking time to remember our netherworld loved ones. The holidays always get so hectic. I appreciate how you created a calming time for yourself. I need to work on that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, Happy Samhain darling gal! Happy Samhain. I was glad to be in the graveyard for Samhain -- the quiet beauty really did wonders for yet another year without my Momma. I love kid-made decorations! They are the BEST!!

    ReplyDelete