Saturday, 4 October 2014

Religous Symbols in Fashion

Over the past couple of years I've noticed the use of religious symbols has become more popular in gothic and even mainstream fashion. Now ankhs and Pentacles and pentagrams have been in gothic fashion for a while, but it seems to be more popular than ever lately. In hipster, nu-goth, and pastel goth circles the cross and upside down cross have been popular for a while. I even ended up getting a dress with a cross pattern on it (much like the one below) as part of a buy one item, get another free sale at Forever 21.









While I liked the dress, I found myself uncomfortable wearing it. I felt the same way about the large black cross earrings I bought. They're nice, and I think they look good, but I'm uncomfortable wearing them because the symbol is not part of my belief system. I'm not Christian so I don't think I should wear it. I feel the same way about the upside down cross too. I'm not saying that others shouldn't or even that those who aren't Christian shouldn't. I'm just saying I'm personally not comfortable.

Due to other bloggers and Tumblr I've come across the brand Killstar recently. I do really like many of their clothes, but many I would not wear as I'm not personally comfortable with the symbols.



Items I Wouldn't Wear






I love the idea of a gothic swimsuit with occult like imagery, but this is too busy for me and has inverted pentagrams, which doesn't reflect my beliefs.











I wouldn't wear the Bamphomet jumper or the purse as they use symbols used by the Church of Satan and I'm not a Satanist. I also think they send a negative message and possibly attract negative energy. Again this is personal and I wouldn't judge someone else who wanted to wear it.

Items That are Funny But I Still Wouldn't Wear





This is funny because of the juxtaposition of cute and insulting, it's just too rude for me to wear.




Okay this is funny, but not my style. And it would make me hungry for pizza.






I would like this of it had a actual ouija board pattern and not a swear on it. It's too bad, because I really do like ouija boards.





Goya is one of my favourite artists, so I was happy to see one of his prices on a shirt. I don't like the Orange though, and I worry it might send the wrong message As the witches depicted here is an old belief that witches worshipped the devil.

Killstar Items I Would Wear





I love the old fashioned lunar imagery. It is much more witchy and I think positive type of symbol.










There are a few Killstar items with Egyptian symbols, and I would happily wear these. I am fascinated by Egyptian mythology and love working with certain deities like Bast and Isis in my personal spiritual practice.




This one I like because it is plain and I love hoodies. It still has a nice goth/witchy vibe though.

I am in no way saying that if you are not part of a belief system you shouldn't wear their symbols, or that I would judge another for it. I'm just saying I'm personally not comfortable myself wearing them.

What are your thoughts?
Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. I think I get what you're saying. For me personally, I would probably wear at least some symbols of other beliefs, and for me it would be sort of...wanting to honor those deities/beliefs, even if I didn't work with them personally.

    Oddly, while I love gothic crosses and do ascribe to many Christian beliefs, I don't feel comfortable wearing crosses. The church I grew up in was a psychologically abusive cult, so wearing them sort of triggers me.

    By the way, I recently found your blog, and I really love it. As a gothy witchy person myself, it's really awesome to see someone else who shares those areas of interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do feel that with some things I guess. For instance my beliefs are somewhat Pagan but I don't feel comfortable wearing pentagram jewellery because I don't think I am committed enough to that to really represent them. I would feel OK wearing an ankh though, because that symbol also has personal symbolism to me. Like you, I also don't like things with rude messages for myself, I am almost always super nice to strangers and I don't like to make people think negative things about me because I hate being judged.

    I really like that lunar image dress although I am not sure if the placing of the image would work for all body types.

    ReplyDelete